Sunday, March 12, 2006

Like some loser from Flushing

A long-time listener, first-time caller calls up "the Fan."

MIKE FRANCESA We're back with Hour 4 of "Mike and the Mad Dog" on WFAN, and Fidel from Havana is on the car phone.

FIDEL Buenos dias, guys. Long-time listener, first-time caller.

CHRIS RUSSO Good to have you aboard. What's up, Fidel?

FIDEL Yuli! Yuli! Yuli! My Yulieski Gourriel, that's who's up. Did you see him against Panama in the World Baseball Classic? A homer, a double, nearly a grand slam and two double plays. I am 79, but Yuli makes me feel like a 35-year-old jefe when scouts said I was the Cuban Gaylord Perry.

FRANCESA Threw the spitter, did you? Wasn't that illegal?

FIDEL For everybody else, sí, but not for me.

FRANCESA Commie.

RUSSO Good job, Fidel, good job!

FIDEL I once banned stealing after a game in '61. Someone stole second during my windup, and I ordered him back. In the revolution, no one can steal — even in baseball. As your Casey Stengel said, you can look it up.

Meanwhile, John Thorne, makes an interesting -- if improbable -- connection between Buck O'Neal and everybody's favortie baseball villain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Site Meter