Thursday, October 21, 2004

The empire has returned into sand

Though I know that evenin's empire has returned into sand,
Vanished from my hand,
Left me blindly here to stand but still not sleeping.
My weariness amazes me, I'm branded on my feet,
I have no one to meet
And the ancient empty street's too dead for dreaming.

Didn't see it, but I understand that after the game Derek Jeter was asked something about the connection between the 2004 Yankees and the 1996-2001 dynasty. His eyes flashed and he sneered something about there wasn't much of a connection.

Jeter, Bernabe Williams, Mariano Rivera, and Jorge Posada are all that are left from those powerhouse teams. Rivera may have shown in this series that the future hall of fame closer's days of utter dominance may be waning. Bernie, who was probably the most consistent player in the series, will probably no longer be patrolling center field next year. Jorge still has good years ahead, but catching takes its toll; his plate appearances during the series were surely evidence of that.

Jeter can't do it alone. That was clear last night when, in the third and down 6-0, he singled to drive Cairo home, and you could see him -- with a look on his face I've never seen before, he was grey -- yell at Alex Rodriguez, "C'mon!" Rodriguez (the "karate Kid" they're calling him up in Boston) couldn't keep it going.

The thing that struck me was, at Fenway, when the Yankees scored, you could hear a pin drop. At the Stadium, when the Sox scored, you'd be hard pressed to know for certain you were in the Bronx. And as the game went on and the fans in blue left their seats, they were quickly grabbed by the thousands of fans in red. And they were chanting, "IN YOUR HOUSE."

Humiliation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Site Meter