Sunday, October 18, 2009

Another classic

Wow.

Afterward, an elated but emotional Hairston said the moment was for his grandfather, Sammy Hairston, a former Negro Leaguer who played just one year in the majors. The younger Hairston became the first third-generation African-American to play in the majors. His brother Scott and uncle Johnny also play, or played, in the bigs. But of the five Hairstons, on his father had ever had an at-bat in the playoffs, and none had a hit until Hairston singled.

I asked Burnett how he chose Hairston for the pie: “To just sit that long and to come in and get that hit,” Burnett said. “You know, I had to debate it. I asked everyone on the way down and they all said J. Hair, so that’s who I went with.”
Josh Thompson was understandably exhausted when he wrote that.

They play again tomorrow afternoon in what I imagine will be warmer, drier climes.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Site Meter