Monday, July 20, 2009

Old Timer's Day

Every year I watch the Old Timers celebration and I always enjoy it. Madame Cura was quite concerned that she hadn't heard Yogi announced, but he was there, looking fit, as was Don Zimmer, returning for the first time since '03. The Yankees do do this right, though I am struck every year when I hear, repeatedly, that only the Yankees can do this. I don't really understand that: The Tigers, Cubs, White Sox, Red Sox, Reds all have long histories, longer than the former Highlanders. The Dodgers and the Giants are storied franchises, albeit on a different coast than where they started. Is it the many World Serious Rings? Or is just that only the Yankees take this seriously enough and are prepared to pay the freight for all these guys to return.

And then, of course, there's this:

Time to go down on the field and see if I can ketch me some aged ballplayers. The first time they did this here -- by here I mean "in the old building" -- the Yankees welcomed Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker, and many other early 20th century greats. Today they welcome Chad Curtis. I was born too late.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Site Meter