Wednesday, November 05, 2008

No, we shouldn't have

It would be wrong of me not to mention the sad results yesterday of Prop 8 in Cali. And I'll wait to see more evidence of this, but it would be a shame if the record turnout inspired by Obama was partly to blame. As T-NC wrote,

I've been working my way through this thing on blacks, homophobia and marriage equality. I don't regret any of my arguments. But, this is hard to take:

Every ethnic group supported marriage equality, except African-Americans, who voted overwhelmingly against extending to gay people the civil rights once denied them: a staggering 69 - 31 percent African-American margin against marriage equality.

I've given my take many times, and I stand by it, though it should be said I was wrong about Latinos. Still on a gut, emotional level, this makes me sick. If someone wants to give me a reason why gay people shouldn't be able to marry that doesn't, at its root, boil down to "yuck," I guess I'd love to hear it. But really that isn't the point. I've always maintained that you don't have to like black people to do the right thing. Same thing here. I'm not very interested in folks's homophobia. I'm interested in why they think they should be in the business of dictating terms of love to two consenting adults. It's disgusting. And we need to let this shit go. There may be great, sound reasons beyond--the blacks are pathological!!--to explain this. But there are no great, sound reasons that excuse it. Cut this shit out. We know better. Even if other people didn't.


What I don't get (and should probably do some homework), is how voters can overturn a state supreme decision that states it's a state constitutional right?

At least farm animals may get a better deal in the state.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Site Meter