Thursday, February 28, 2008

Stevie Nicks versus Billie Holiday? Is he insane?

Richard Cohen proves his wankery extends beyond political punditry all the way to music.

So it could be that Clinton would lose the Democratic nomination even if she were a gifted politician. But she has no such gift. Her smile is strained. She is contained. She seems unknowable, and there is that melancholy Billie Holiday air about her -- all those songs about a suffering woman. Most of us would prefer Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop (Thinking About Tomorrow)," the upbeat theme of Bill Clinton's first presidential campaign.


Now, I bow to no man in my affection for '70s music and attendant hair styles, but I ask you, what sentient human being prefers Fleetwood Mack to Billie Holiday?

UPDATE: While a commenter takes me to task for comparing the two (which, I'd point out is what Cohen did, not me), seems I'm not alone in being awe struck by Cohen's musical chops.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer Fleetwood Mac over Billie Holiday. I think most people do considering that Fleetwood Mac's Back catalog outsells her back catalog - never mind when they were all popular in their prime and outselling. They wrote, sang and played their own music. She was essentially a covers artist - a song stylist. Think of her as a gifted American Idol.

That said, I love Billie Holliday. They are different genres of music and shouldn't be compared anyway. But for you to say anyone is insane for their comment is just as insane as the comment you made. To each, their own. (And yes, I am perhaps the most insane.)

PS. there is a great version of Stevei Nicks singing "At Last" - a cover by Etta James. A whole different singer.

:)

4:13 PM  
Blogger John said...

I'm sure Kenny G outsold Charlie Parker, too. Just sayin'.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Site Meter