Thursday, September 29, 2005

Tom DeLay = moorings

The internets. There lies Madness.

Kee-rist, the Cornerdwellers further descend! Jonah Goldberg whips out his iTunes: "my #1 iTunes tune is Fee by Phish (181 plays), followed by Solsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel, Into My Arms by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and then several songs by the Pietasters and then The Kinks and The Who." Compare this collaboration between Goldberg and his youthful intern ("What're you listening to? I can hear 'em through your headphones. They're rilly good! What's their name?") with the last Norbizness joint and ask yourself: what was that South Park Republican thing about again? Then scroll up for John J. Miller ("'Zero,' by Smashing Pumpkins -- all me, dude") and ask yourself: if I shoot into this computer monitor, will I hit the guy who wrote this? And if not, what good is the internet?

If Alicublog didn't exist, we'd have to create it.

But then, again, with material like this, his posts write themselves!

I used to think CMT offered a popular alternative to the usual lefty cultural sensibility reigning on MTV and VH1. I don’t think that so much anymore. CMT has been running Neil Young’s new video “I’m Walkin’ to New Orleans.” It’s a remake of the old Fats Domino tune, with video that tries to pin blame on George Bush.

Now “I’m Walkin’ to New Orleans" isn’t a country song. And Neil Young sure as heck ain’t no country music star. The famous Lynyrd Skynyrd song “Sweet Home Alabama” hits back at Young for blaming George Wallace on the whole South (in Young’s “Southern Man”). But now CMT is using a Neil Young song for a blatant political attack on President Bush. Even CMT’s most hawkish war songs don’t level attacks against named dovish Democratic politicians. This is the most blatantly political video I’ve ever seen on CMT, and it’s by a non-country singer who’s famous for hating the South.

"...blaming George Wallace on the whole South..." Once you machete your way through the thicket of that insensible phrase, will you let me know, in the comments section, what that means? I'd do it, but I have to lie down now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Site Meter