Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Snow jobs and generational warfare

John Snow tells us, well, pretty much what we knew already.

Pressed about benefit reductions at public appearances on Tuesday, administration officials offered no answers.

Democrats on the Ways and Means Committee tried to coax Mr. Snow into providing more details about the president's plan, but he responded, "The president at this point doesn't have a plan."

When we criticize tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans, Republicans accuse Dems of "class warfare." Now, I realize I'm not the first to mention this, but isn't it odd that for a guy who spent the 1960s in a drunken, frat house haze, AWOL not only from Vietnam, but also from the society's generational war that was going on at the time, he's suddenly a proponent of "don't trust anyone over 30?"

Just let me remind you, if you're a senior, nothing changes. And if you're a youngster, I'd be knocking on the members of the Congress and the Senate's door to say, what are you going to do about that chart to make sure I can grow up in a -- (applause.)

[...]

Q Thank you, Mr. President. Firstly, I'd like to say something that just -- my generation doesn't believe that it will be there in its current form. I strongly believe that. I don't believe the system will be there for me. I'm 28 years old.

THE PRESIDENT: Well, there's one thing on that. That's what's changing the debate. That's what gives me confidence that people who are -- have been elected can stand up and be rewarded for taking on the issue, not punished, because there are thousands of people like him who say, I don't think I'm ever going to see anything, and what are you going to do about it, particularly once our seniors are convinced nothing is going to change. And that is a very important point. [emphasis, of course, added

Odd, in't, hearing George W. Bush telling teens and twenty-somethings that The Man is trying to keep them down?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Site Meter