Friday, July 30, 2004

"Help is on the way"

Vanessa (who left not a dry eye in the place -- including my living room) and Alex Kerry. Max Cleland. And, then, Kerry, who didn't deliver a stemwinder, but that's not who he is. A great speech that touched on what we needed to hear from Kerry. A great night.

I will be a commander in chief who will never mislead us into war. I will have a vice president who will not conduct secret meetings with polluters to rewrite our environmental laws. I will have a secretary of defense who will listen to the advice of the military leaders. And I will appoint an attorney general who will uphold the Constitution of the United States.

My fellow Americans, this is the most important election of our lifetime. The stakes are high. We are a nation at war - a global war on terror against an enemy unlike we've ever known before. And here at home, wages are falling, health care costs are rising and our great middle class is shrinking. People are working weekends, two jobs, three jobs - and they're still not getting ahead.

[snip]

Now I know that there are those who criticize me for seeing complexities, and I do, because some issues just aren't all that simple. Saying there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq doesn't make it so. Saying we can fight a war on the cheap doesn't make it so. And proclaiming mission accomplished certainly doesn't make it so.

[snip]

I know what kids go through when they are carrying an M-16 in a dangerous place and they can't tell friend from foe. I know what they go through when they're out on patrol at night and they don't know what's coming around the next bend. I know what it's like to write letters home telling your family that everything's all right when you're just not sure that that's true.

As president, I will wage this war with the lessons I learned in war. Before you go to battle, you have to be able to look a parent in the eye and truthfully say: "I tried everything possible to avoid sending your son or daughter into harm's way. But we had no choice. We had to protect the American people, fundamental American values against a threat that was real and imminent." So lesson number one, this is the only justification for going to war.

And on my first day in office, I will send a message to every man and woman in our armed forces: You will never be asked to fight a war without a plan to win the peace.

[snip]

And tonight, we have an important message for those who question the patriotism of Americans who offer a better direction for our country. Before wrapping themselves in the flag and shutting their eyes and ears to the truth, they should remember what America is really all about. They should remember the great idea of freedom for which so many have given their lives. Our purpose now is to reclaim democracy itself. We are here to affirm that when Americans stand up and speak their minds and say America can do better, that is not a challenge to patriotism; it is the heart and soul of patriotism.

Kerry delivered two great themes last night: "Help is on the way," and "What if."

I just hope more than a handful actually saw the speech. It really does feel like the history of this nation and of Democracy itself are truly hanging in the balance. Sounds ridiculous, and I'm embarrassed to make such a grand, overarching, and frankly self-generational-absorbed statement. To fall into the trap that the events we're facing are like no others, but I think it is true that this is the most important election of our lifetime. We're all challenged to make things right again, or at least take a strong step in that direction. Because the alternative is terrifying.

But I'm very encouraged after this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Site Meter