Friday, April 16, 2004

A truce

I didn't think the bin Laden truce story was worth commenting on yesterday either, but then I learn, thanks to O'Franken, that we're again talking about cutting back our troop strength in Afghanistan and wonder, have we accepted the truce the Europeans rejected?

I exaggerate, but what is Gen. Meyers talking about?

"'We will see how events unfold. I think generally most of the country is pretty secure as a matter of fact,' he added."

[...]

"Violence in many parts of Afghanistan and huge logistical challenges forced President Hamid Karzai to postpone elections from June to September."

Everything I've read is that Hamid Karzai is effectively the Mayor of Baghdad, very few parts of the country are "secure," poppy-growing and heroin manufacture is at an all time high, and there's no sign of the really tall guy with the dialysis machine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Site Meter