Thursday, March 08, 2012

But they're Democrats

Linda Greenhouse compares last week's Sandra Fluke "kerfuffle" with Lucy Ledbetter's tale from four years ago, who became a darling of the Obama campaign and a Democratic congressional cause.  But she suggests Democrats be careful not to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by overplaying what looks like a strong hand.

If you think my concern is unfounded, here’s a little experiment. Go to YouTube and listen to Loretta Lynn sing “The Pill.” The song was a country music hit for her back in 1975, a feminist anthem in its message if not in its rustic imagery:

“You wined me and dined me when I was your girl
Promised if I’d be your wife you’d show me the world
But all I’ve seen of this old world is a bed and a doctor bill
I’m tearing down your brooder house ‘cause now I’ve got the pill.” 
Listen to the song, and don’t miss the line: “This incubator is overused because you’ve kept it filled.” Listen, and ask yourself whether this song would get air time on a commercial station today. I wouldn’t bet on it.

She's got a point.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Site Meter