Sunday, January 27, 2008

Jumping the shark?

I listened to Bill Clinton's comments referencing Jesse Jackson's wins in South Carolina in '84 and '88, and I guess I'm just not that incensed by them, specifically. However, I do think the "Bill gambit" the Clinton campaign employed there, though, has hurt them as, at best, it only had the effect of placing Hillary Clinton ahead of Dead Man Walking Edwards. A lot was riding on Bill bringing out the African-American vote for his wife, and it just wasn't very effective. It did succeed in having the effect of giving the appearance that they see themselves in a knife fight with a fellow Democrat. How much of that is real and not media driven is hard to say, but they (particularly Bill) were made to look as though they took this very, very personally. Not the happy warrior, either husband or wife. I understand. I empathize. But not attractive.

The CT primary is in a week. I still haven't decided whom I'll pull the lever for (this is the first primary I'll have voted in in which CT matters at all). But if the Clintons are really trying to paint Obama as "the black candidate," then I'm going to be a hell of a lot angrier about that then I am about any admiring comments Obama may make about a dead Ronald Reagan.

And, meanwhile, the fact that establishment Dems are endorsing Obama says a lot about the guy who isn't currently the front runner.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Site Meter