Saturday, February 02, 2008

Barack Obama

I can't recall a primary in which it was more difficult to choose the candidate to support. Both Hillary Clinton and Barak Obama are enormously appealing and both have proved they are smart campaigners who, in their runs for Senate, can win in the Red as well as the Blue counties of their states.

But it's time to choose and while it's tempting to sit atop the Olympian Heights equivalent of the blogosphere and merely comment on the race and defend Democratic candidates against the stupidity of Maureen Dowd and Chris Matthews, I'm not Digby. What I have to say doesn't amount to a hill 'o beans and my readership is so small elite that it doesn't really make any sense for me to sit it out. After all, I'm a member of the Democratic Party, I'm voting in the primary on Tuesday, I might as well as try to type out my reasoning as I try to figure it out myself.

First, though, if you'd like to read intelligent analysis, go here.

You could tell watching the other night's debate that this is an exciting race. The atmosphere at the debate was electric...imagine that. Both candidates were engaging and likable, and the debate was substantive, often despite the ministrations of Wolf Blitzer. Going in to it, I though Clinton would be vulnerable against an avuncular McCain, but watching her, I realized she can beat the old man. And I believe her when she claims that she's ready on day one to start getting things done.

But I like Tom Brady Barack Obama. And I'm not alone. It's unfair, but Hillary Clinton's "unfavorables" are so high, she's got a huge hill to climb. McCain's unfavorables are among hard core Republicans. Hillary's are among those same people. I think Obama's recent line that he unites the Democrats, Hillary unites the Republicans is convincing. And for the undecided, I don't think she inspires them to decide any more-- and probably less -- than John McCain (and, yeah, despite the hail Mary, I think Bush's last BFF is gonna be all but the Republican nominee coming this Wednesday).

Electability is something I don't -- can't -- predict. I evaluate candidates based on whom I want to win, not whom I think will win. But...Hillary Clinton started this thing with enormous advantages -- experienced campaign staffers, name recognition, support of the party establishment, tons of money -- and yet the longer the race has gone on, the more Obama has closed the distance.

And then there's the Clinton thing. I voted for Bill Clinton. Hell, eight years ago I would have voted for a third term. But it could be tough love at times. No, Hillary isn't Bill, but they are soul mates, of that I'm sure. And Bill's behavior on the trail recently gave us frequent reminders of Sister Souljah, flying back to Arkansas to preside over the execution of a self-lobotomized man, don't ask don't tell -- moments when even an ardent supporter had to hold his nose and say, well, anything to get a Democrat elected. Obama's gonna do and say things that annoy me -- he's not perfect -- but I don't expect as much cringing.

Judgment matters. There's not a dime's worth of difference between the two on most issues. But on the most important issue of the last decade -- Tonkin Gulf II -- Obama simply exhibited good judgment. Clinton simply did not. If that were the only instance it would be one thing -- I've supported and sympathized with her on this as Bush put Congress in the untenable position of either supporting his messianic insanity or cutting the commander-in-chief off at the knees. But it wasn't the only thing. She's since shown she supports anything that expands Executive authority and her vote for the Lieberman-Kyle amendment was simply egregious, given its context. I've often felt that she's had an eye more on the authority she would have as president than on restraining the current president's.

Furthermore, I'm incredibly impressed with the people Obama has surrounded himself with in terms of foreign policy, particularly Samantha Power.

But most of all, it does feel like it is a time of the over-used word, "change." Obama represents generational change, as Matt Bai will write in tomorrow's NYT Magazine. His youth, his appeal to youth gives the impression that we're witnessing a movement. Hillary Clinton's pragmatism certainly has much to argue for it, given just how broken our country is, but it's going to take more than a technocrat. If she wins on Tuesday, I'll support her whole-heartedly, proud that a smart, confident woman is our nominee. But in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the moment and see if this is a wave we can ride right over the floating debris of the culture wars and the Bush and Rove Republican party.

All that said, what's this all about.

Oh, and Patriots 42, Giants 17.

UPDATE: I guess I rest my case.




Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Site Meter