Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The five stages, from denial to acceptance

Yes, it's true. $180 million plus worth of mediocrity.

I am not one of those calling the 'FAN to complain and treat this as a personal affront to what I have coming as a Yankee fan. I have thoroughly enjoyed the last 12 years. In that time, this is the first time -- and there have been bad starts to seasons past -- that I didn't assume the Yankees would find their way into October.

As SG writes, I'll still watch the game and hope to see more amazing plays by Derek Jeter and mythic home runs from Alex Rodriguez. But this weekend I realized that I no longer expect the Yankees to win every night. Maybe Hughes and Clemens will help them make a run for the wild card, but the Yankees don't have a bullpen that can remotely be relied on, they get no offensive production from first base, the center fielder looks like the reincarnation of Mickey Mantle at the end of his career, the right fielder looks lost at the plate, and the DH can't walk. Cabrera's regressed and Cano is having the sophomore slide...in his third year.

Maybe last night was the bottom. Maybe the Yankees will win the next two in Toronto and win two of three in Boston this weekend. But the way they're currently playing, I doubt it. And I suspect there will be a new manager before the end of the season with the GM following closely at the end of the season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Site Meter