Saturday, September 02, 2006

The minor leagues

Madame Cura and I saw The Bob Dylan Show at Dutchess Stadium, the home of the...well, I don't know who it's the home of, but needless to say, a single or double A team. Yeah, yeah, two nights of old rock 'n rollers in one week; pretty scary.

After some entertaining opening acts (Junior Brown, especially), the headliner was introduced with a hilarious, brief history of the cliches of his life: "Voice of his generation in the 60s," "renewed fame in the 70s," "born again and considered a 'has-been' in the 80s," " "come back in the 90s and new critical acclaim..." All I could think of, only Dylan would come up with an introduction guaranteed to make him come on stage with a smirk.

The show was great with the kind of performance you come to expect from Dylan and the band with whom he's had such relatively long association with, as tight an organization as I think he's ever played with. And the decision to do a tour of minor league stadiums (this is the second time they've done this) seems pretty smart. I don't know what the economics are, but seeing him outside under the looming clouds of the anticipated "Ernesto" wass real nice, with good sound. Sitting on the damp grass eating burgers is a nice change from arenas. I saw all of one cop and one guy with "security" on his t-shirt.

Best of all you had a sense that large groups of people, families, knew each other. Before the show we overhead a group of people talking about how great it was to actually get a show like this in the towns of Fishkill and Beacon, NY, whose main claim to fame (and jobs) is the state penal institution.

I'm gonna spare the defeated - I'm gonna speak to the crowd
I'm gonna spare the defeated, boys, I'm going to speak to the crowd
I am goin' to teach peace to the conquered
I'm gonna tame the proud


Lonesome Day Blues

And yes, Dear Reader, thoughts on Modern Times to come! Stay tuned!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Madame Cura must be a saint to hang out with you

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Site Meter