Saturday, September 25, 2004

They'll stone ya when you're trying to be so good

Well, they'll stone ya when you're trying to be so good,
They'll stone ya just a-like they said they would.
They'll stone ya when you're tryin' to go home.
Then they'll stone ya when you're there all alone.
But I would not feel so all alone,
Everybody must get stoned.

Boston manager Francoma gets stoned in the eighth.

The frustrated legions among the 35,022 at Fenway Park turned their anger on Francona. They booed him on his march from the dugout to replace Martinez with Alan Embree. They booed him on the way back, and they booed him after he protested a close play at third later in the inning and replaced Embree with Mike Timlin. They booed Francona louder than he has been booed in 153 games since he succeeded Little.

And, um, I don't think Pedro wants to pitch to the Yankees anymore.

"I wanted to bury myself on that mound," he said. "What can I say? I just tip my hat and call the Yankees my daddy."

Martinez once was so defiant in the face of Yankee adversity that he called for summoning the ghost of Babe Ruth so he could drill the Bambino in the butt. But the latest loss seemed to humble him. He dropped to 10-11 with a 3.24 ERA in his career against the Yankees.

"I wish they would disappear and never come back," he said. "I'd like to face any other team right now."

Yep, sounds like that rubber room is being made up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Site Meter