Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Hey Rube

How could it have escaped my attention that Hunter S. Thompson has been writing a column for espn.com for the past 3+ years? Here he mourns the passing of the powerful Yankees in "The Half-Inning That Will Live in Infamy."

When I woke up four hours later, the Yankees were leading 2-1 in the bottom of the ninth. My friends were laughing greedily and Omar was gone. I felt queasiness in my stomach, but I refused to cave in to it -- and just then the Yankees made a horrible error that put men on first and second with no outs. Yes, I thought, this dynasty is ready to fall. Princess Omin was weeping softly, but I tried to ignore her. The whole room understood that whatever happened next was going to be awkward.

There was no time to brood on it, however, because a Diamondback hitter had looped a single into left-center and the game was over. ... And that's how the story ends, folks. Omar's little sister is living with us now. She sleeps in the attic and never talks. We are trying to take the situation one day at a time. Anita has come to like her, and I have abandoned all hope of Omar ever paying off. But so what? At least he is gone from the neighborhood,and that is what really matters. He was an evil freak, and I hope he never comes back. Life can be strange in the wilderness, especially when foreigners wander in and say unfortunate things for no reason at all. The Yankees are dead, long live the Yankees.

These are times that were made for the Good Doctor. I'm glad he's back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com Site Meter